It is the policy of Collegium Charter School to provide all students with equal access to a quality education, including those whose dominant language is not English and who are learning English as a second language. Collegium Charter School will provide assistance through an appropriate planned Language Instruction Educational Program (LIEP) to enable limited English proficient (LEP) students to progress academically while they are learning English. The LIEP incorporates sound research-based education theory, appropriate resources and staffing, and periodic program evaluation.
The purpose of the LIEP is to increase the English language proficiency of eligible students so that they can attain the academic standards set forth by the Board of Trustees and in accordance with the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
The LIEP is designed to provide planned instruction to meet each student’s individual needs based on English language proficiency level as identified through multiple criteria in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Content area support shall be provided while the student is learning English, with a focus on both English Language Proficiency Standards and Academic Standards. English Language Development (ELD) curriculum will be aligned with the PA Core Standards. ESL specialists collaborate with general education teachers to monitor progress and collaborate on instructional strategies.
The Home Language Survey (HLS) is completed by every family choosing to enroll their child at Collegium Charter School. For students whose native language is not English and for whom background and/or additional evidence warrants formal assessment of the student’s English proficiency level, Collegium will administer the required proficiency assessment (WIDA Screener) and consider the multiple criteria to determine the need for ELD Instruction. Parent notification includes the student’s placement within the LIEP in addition to the specific ELD services provided for each student.
For additional information, please see the 2021-2022 Collegium Charter School LIEP Handbook.
If you have questions regarding the LIEP or ELD services at CCS, please contact the appropriate ESL Specialist listed below.
- Grades K & 1 (468): Mrs. Carolyn Harding – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grades 2 & 4 (468): Mrs. Vini Inaganti – email@example.com
- Grades 3 & 4 (468): Mrs. Christine Sciulli – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grades K & 1 (150): Mr. Bryan Meyer – email@example.com
- Grades 2-4 (150): Mrs. Patti Schmidt – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grade 5 (500): Ms. Kathi McDermott – email@example.com
- Grade 6 (500): Mrs. Kate Tobin – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grade 7 (CMS): Mrs. Maryellen DeTurck – email@example.com
- Grade 8 (CMS): Mrs. Victoria Thomas – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grades 9-12 (CHS): Ms. Joan Duffy – email@example.com